Cheesy Meaty Spaghetti Recipe
Spaghetti: the ultimate comfort food.
There's something about it... it's warm, it's tasty, it's filling. It can be light, with a few blistered cherry tomatoes tossed in...
Or it can be a hearty meal filled with meat and cheese. And that's the kind of recipe I've got for you today. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but at a time in our world when comfort is desperately needed, you can't go wrong with this tried-and-true classic dish that will fill your tummy-- and maybe even your soul-- with warmth.
Here's what you'll need:
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- One 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 12 oz. water
- Half an onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (a sprinkle of garlic salt will do if you don't have cloves)
- A handful of fresh basil (a sprinkle of dried will do if you don't have fresh)
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 6 oz. of your favorite sausage (I used 2 links of chicken sausage infused with provolone & mozzarella for a cheesier kick. You can substitute ground beef if you'd like.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (freshly grated parmesan or provolone would also work)
- A few glugs olive oil
- Extra mozzarella or parmesan to sprinkle on top
Here's how to make it:
While your salted water is boiling for the pasta, add a few glugs of olive oil to your sauce pan over medium heat, and add onions and garlic. Soften for a few minutes.
Remove sausage from casing, crumble it, and add to sauce pan. Heat until cooked through.
Add tomato paste, water, dried basil* (if you don't have fresh which I'd save to top at the end), garlic salt* (if you didn't have cloves), and sugar. Stir well until nice & bubbly.
Cook spaghetti al dente (one minute less than the package suggests). When nearly done, add mozzarella cheese to sauce, and stir until it's melted. Grab spaghetti with tongs and add to sauce pan. Mix well.
Top with more cheese, and fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
Serves about 4.
Will you be trying this cheesy, meaty variation of spaghetti? Share your thoughts in the comments below. Buon appetito!